Classroom Reveal 2015


Hey teacher friends! Are you exhausted from the first few days back to school?! One thing that energizes me is looking at pictures of classrooms! #teachernerd 

I am beyond excited about my classroom this year! I've been in the same room for several years, but I had a few goals in mind as I updated my classroom. For starters, I wanted to have more space for movement and small group activities. I also wanted to better organize our space and materials so that our classroom is a space shared by everyone! I was definitely ready to unpack my lockers and give our space a fresh look! Here's what I was dealing with one day 1-yikes!!!



Welcome to our classroom!




Do you see my teacher desk??!! Neither do I! I removed my desk so we could have extra floor space. My desk was never really utilized. and it took up a lot of space. I organized all of my materials so that I can quickly access them throughout the day. 

Our classroom banner is so inviting and beautiful. You can check out lots of banner designs for different grade levels here







I ordered my red teacher toolbox from Amazon, and the toolbox labels are from Erica Bohrer (They are editable and awesome!) The sterilite drawers are from Wal-mart. The polka dot boxes and frame are from Hobby Lobby. 




I keep some teaching materials on my front table too. The shelf and bins from Target are perfect for holding all of the things that I need during instructional time. Using this vertical space keeps my front table from becoming too cluttered during the day. I like keeping my supplies in containers with labels that are easy for little ones to read. 

I made some new labels for the student storage area too so that everything matches. Did you notice I keep shower caps on the top row of bins?! If a bin falls off, you don't have 300 markers rolling across the floor, and you can keep busy hands out of the bins!

I love labeling everything with words and pictures. It helps me quickly remember where to put everything, but it also helps my firsties clean up too! 


You can check out all of my classroom labels by clicking on the picture below.


For a little extra storage, I got a pair of filing cabinets. We found these for FREE on the side of the road when we were driving around town. They were an ugly green color, but my husband helped me sand them down and spray paint them! The rolling carts will serve as mailboxes for my students this year. I used calendar numbers to label them 1-30. 



I updated my reading board this year too! My sight words have little magnets on the back so I display them stove burner covers while they are being taught. Once we master them, we move them over to our magnetic word wall. My firsties can come up and remove words as needed during writing and then easily put them back. The word family signs are held with clothespins. When we are ready for a new family, these posters will move to a permanent display on our lockers. (All of the word family posters for the year are available in my TPT store if you click on the picture.)




You can get these word wall cards, alphabet posters, and FREE word helper signs from my TPT store. I also use my table signs to help reinforce long and short vowel sounds throughout the year. 

I also like to keep up posters for shapes and colors for the whole year. My firsties use these words ALL the time!




I am really excited about our reading area this year too. I know my firsties will love the special seating (from Target and Ikea) and there are sooooo many books to share! I store books by genre and by reading level. The little shelf between the chairs holds books we have been reading together in the classroom or seasonal books. 


You can get all of the labels and matching stickers to organize your books by subject, author, characters, or guided reading level by clicking on the picture below.









Here's a look at our first writing display. We use these editing cups as we practice writing complete sentences and learning how to check our work. (All of these writing resources are in my TPT store, just click on the pictures to check them out.)





Here's a peek at our math wall. We update our calendar and number of the day it every morning. You can get the mathematical practices posters and number cards from my TPT store too. 




As we finish calendar, we look at our schedule for the day. By mapping out our day together and answering questions, our transitions are more smooth and everyone (including me) knows what to expect! You can check out the schedule cards by clicking on the picture. 

My school has a fantastic School-Wide Positive Behavior System so we display consistent rules posters and displays throughout our building. Here's how our rules looks in my classroom. The chart is used for students to store their reward coupons called "rocket fuel." They can buy prizes or special experiences with their rocket fuel. 




I can't wait to share this space with my super sweet class this year! The only thing missing is LOTS of kid work! Thanks for stopping by friends!

PS.... Can you spy me in my first grade class photo?! I love to hang this up for my firsties and their families to see!



21 comments

  1. Oh friend. I seriously have a lump in my throat looking and reading through your post. You are SO ridiculously talented and I miss being across the hall from you SO so very much. Your room is absolutely gorgeous. Your firsties are SO lucky to have you. Love you, teamie!! <3

    Ashley
    Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much friend! I am so glad that even across state boundaries we can continue to inspire each support each other. I am SO lucky to have YOU as a friend. I just wish I could see your classroom in person <3

      Delete
  2. Love it Emily!!! Your word family posters are adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! I love sharing resources with you <3 I am so glad we get to share this crazy first grade experience :)

      Delete
  3. You are super organized! ! Looks like an amazing learning environment!
    Jessica
    Tales of a First Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I really try to state organized. Sometimes it looks like a tornado went through the classroom before dismissal, but I am working on keeping the mess to a minimum :) We are really have a great time learning together this year in our space!

      Delete
  4. Can I come be in your class, pretty please?!?! It's beautiful!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! Wouldn't it be great if we could take classroom tours? I would be the first to sign up!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Kara! I would love to see your room if I am ever at your building this year :)

      Delete
  6. I want to be in your class!!!! Naturally, I love all of the polka dots! And the beautiful teacher chair! I really love that! Thanks for sharing your beautiful classroom. Wishing you a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Amy! You know I love the polka dots too so I tried to use them without overhwelming everything. I painted my teacher chair before I started my first year. It's getting a little worn and it rocks a bit, but I just can't part with it! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great year!

      :) Emily

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness your room is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love it all!! It's so bright, colorful, and inviting! That is such a great idea to use the rolling cart as student mailboxes!!! I love that! I also show my kindergarten students a picture of my kindergarten class. They love seeing me as a kindergartener!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful room!

    ~Heather :)
    Recipe for Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Heather! Kids do love those pictures of teachers when they are kids, don't they?! I also have a little class book with all of the pictures of my former classes. It's always a popular read!...I just started using the mailboxes this year because I have a big class and my previous mailboxes didn't have enough slots. So far, it's working out really well! Have a great year with your kinders!

      :) Emily

      Delete
  8. What a fabulous room! I love how colorful it is! How did you make the big class poster? That's awesome! Have a great year!
    Paige
    Our Elementary Lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paige! I designed the image using PowerPoint, and then I saved it as a jpeg. I uploaded the image to the website Vistaprint and ordered it as a banner. I waited until they were having a sale so I didn't have to pay full price, but it was definitely worth the money!
      :) Emily

      Delete
  9. Your room is amazing! I know you spend countless hours preparing for your littles and I know they must love it! They are so blessed! This is the time of year I start planning and getting ready for next year. Thanks for some great inspiration! I'll be checking out some of the products you talked about too! Hope the last of your school year is awesome! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your room! So beautiful and organized. I also love the black wire book display in your book nook. where did you get it? I love the wooden displays but they're so expensive! :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the color!! Where did you get the little people, like holding the pencils and the ten frame?
    DIna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room is gorgeous!!! I just found this through a post on facebook. I was wondering if you have the rocket clip art that you have on your behavior board for sale? I am doing a space theme in my classroom and love the rocket and the other behavior items. Looked in your TPT store but couldn't find them. Thanks! Hope you have an awesome year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jenny! The rocket clip art is not posted in my store, but please email me at emily.burchfield@gmail.com and I can help you get the pieces you would like for your classroom. Have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top