so nothing on my to-do list is done...but....


Are you back to school already?! Not me! I haven't seen the inside of my classroom since the first week of June. Our school is closed to teachers during the summer so I have had lots of time to refresh and reflect! We just got back from our family vacation over the weekend, and now I am super antsy to start my school projects! 



I finally dug out my to-do list and to-buy list that I made the last week of school. If you know me, I'm not very good at keeping lists. (I should kiss my brain for not losing it all summer!) I started looking at my lists and the same thing happened to me that usually happens when I look at a list---I get a different bigger idea!

So I haven't done much on my list yet, but I have been working on some fabulous room decor projects #eeek! I finished up a new set of alphabet clipart, and I loved it so much I had to make my own alphabet goodies. (Keep in mind that the list did not include ANY alphabet projects- oops!)




I made alphabet posters and little alphabet cards with matching long vowels and digraphs. I hate when I get an adorable alphabet with no extra posters and then everything you need doesn't match! 

I even got the cards all laminated and ready for my word wall-- hooray for the kids taking long naps! Here's a good tip if you have extra chalkboard space-- put magnets on the back of your word wall headers and cards. The kiddos can walk up and remove a word if they need to see it or write it and you can adjust your headers as your wall of words grows throughout the year.




I just could not decide if I liked the black background or the gray polka dot background better so 20 pages of laminate later, I have 2 sets. That's a lot of letters!



My little helper enjoyed playing with the letter cards too! The size would be great for a flashcards, centers, pocket charts, or even your family's refrigerator! You can get any of these posters, cards, or clipart sets in my store--just click on the pictures.

Here's another project that was NOT on my to-do list--make new bulletin board letters! I went to an awesome teacher store at the beach #teacherlife I looked and looked for just the right letters, but I didn't find them. The good news is making your own letters is easy and perfect when you can't find exactly what you want. 



I used powerpoint to make my letters. I chose a chunky font (This is KG Second Chances Solid), outlined it with black, and filled it with white. I cut down some scrapbook paper to be 8.5 x 11 to fit into my printer. Then I printed just like I would on regular white paper. 


I cut out the centers of my letters once they printed. Then I just laminated them and trimmed around the edges. 


It really was simple, and it does not require a lot of ink like printing colored lettering. Feel free to pin this image so you don't forget the steps!

Throughout the week, I also worked on a couple other special projects. I will be sharing details about them soon...Next week, I get to set up my classroom so stop back to see updates and more pictures. (I don't know about you, but I could look at classroom pictures all day!)

Are you making anything new for the upcoming year or are you sticking to your to-do list?!


25 comments

  1. Neat idea!! Thanks for sharing :-)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog Karen! Have a great school year!

      :) Emily

      Delete
  2. Great Idea!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping my blog Paula. I hope you find other ideas you like in the future!
      :) Emily

      Delete
  3. What a clever idea with the scrapbook paper! I am so excited to try that out!! I'll be buying even more paper from Micheal's from now on I guess :)
    Kayla
    The Chalkboard Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much hoard scrapbook paper (I don't know why?!) so this is a perfect way to use it, and a reson to go buy more! I would love to see the letters you make Kayla!
      :) Emily

      Delete
  4. Just found your website! Love the scrapbook paper idea, never even thought of that !! Tried to follow you on Instagram with your button on top and it says it is broken- Just wanted to let you know :-) Have a great back to school!! Lisa from http://allthingsspecialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! My instagram account was updated, by my link hasn't been changed yet. If you would like to follow me on instagram my updated usernam is polka.dots.please. Thanks again for stopping by my blog!
    :) Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Nicki! Have a great school year!
      :) Emily

      Delete
  7. Omg I love everything!!! You are so talent and creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too sweet! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog-- your feedback means a lot to me!
    :) Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Follow Me To First
    Thank you so much for sharing your ideas! I had just bought (settled for) some letters the day before you posted this project. But now I know how to make my own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fantastic idea. I am a first year teacher and love collecting all these new ideas. By chance, do you know what size font you used? I see you got about six letters per page, but I can't begin to guess what size they are. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meghann,
      I wish I knew this tip as a new teacher! It's perfect for making exactly what you want without buying lots of extra letters you don't need! The size of the font really depends on which font you choose and how big you want the letters. I just tried different sizes and then kept checking the page view to see how big they would print. Best wishes for your first year teaching!

      Delete
  11. This is ingenius! Thanks for sharing! I'm so excited to try this out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is ingenius! Thanks for sharing! I'm so excited to try this out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI can you please give a step by step how to make the letters! I am stuck! How do you outline the fonts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used PowerPoint to make my letters. To outline the them, you type the letters you need. Then highlight the letters and left click on them. Select "Format Text Effects" and then "Text Outline." You can choose the outline color you want the line to be. Then select "Text Fill" and choose "no fill."

      Delete
  14. I used PowerPoint to make my letters. To outline the them, you type the letters you need. Then highlight the letters and left click on them. Select "Format Text Effects" and then "Text Outline." You can choose the outline color you want the line to be. Then select "Text Fill" and choose "no fill."

    ReplyDelete
  15. What is the font size? I would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea! And I am obsessed with the chalkboard paper you used. Do you remember where you got it or what brand it is?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top