Vegas is really just like a typical year in your classroom!

My trip to Vegas was not unlike a typical year of teaching for me. There was laughter and tears, exhaustion and inspiration, old friends and new friends, good plans and not so good plans!

So I organized for Vegas, the same way I plan for a new school year. A few months before the first big day, I ordered new supplies. I was so excited when my new business cards and pens arrived. I kept them in plastic for awhile and just looked at them. I do that with new school supplies too- once you take them out of the wrapper a little of their magic floats away.


New clothes are always important for a new school year too. I picked up a few new things at Target and Macy's. I also got an adorable shirt from A+ Images. They were beyond helpful and really went the extra mile to make sure my late order arrived in time for my trip and was exactly what I wanted.


Like every good teacher, I wanted to be super prepared for the first day! I made myself a pretty new binder, and filled it with flight reservations, conference information, session hand-outs, and blogger meet-up schedules. Did I mention my very, very, very, detailed itinerary?!--oh my! Just wait until you see it later in this post. It will remind you of the best lesson plan you ever wrote....#sarcasm, but maybe, if you're like me!


Of course, I wanted to show my friends how excited I was for our first day and how much I appreciated them! I made my roomies buttons and key chains...it's kind of my thing to make gifts for people instead of buying stuff. (The cups and supplies were all from Michael's craft store.)


I was beyond blessed to be staying with Diane Romo of Spreading Joy One Giggle at a Time. She was my mentor for student teaching and the person who taught me everything I know about teaching first grade!  Being in her classroom, watching her teach, and listening to her laugh is life changing! I was beyond excited to share this experience with her!

When I got my first teaching job, Ashley Schroeder of Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd is the friend I could see teaching across the hall...and then it was like the hall became invisible. Even though we were in separate rooms, we did planning together and coteaching together and dreaming together! Although I can't see her across the hall anymore, we have a new bond! She has taken me under her wing and taught me everything I know about this crazy adventure of blogging and TPT. She is the reason there is a Polka Dots Please.

I was also so very excited to meet Ashley's #bloggybestie Angie Olson of Lucky Little Learners. I have been following her on social media for a long time and learning about her through Ashley. I am constantly impressed by her knowledge and her willingness to take chances, especially when it comes to technology! I knew meeting her would be an unforgettable experience!


So I was totally prepped and ready for the first day of school....TPT conference! Just like the first day of school, I was super excited. The kind of excited where it's hard to sleep because you just keep thinking and thinking and thinking! I was also really, really nervous. If you know me well, you know that I am shy- the kind of shy where I am going to avoid you in the grocery store unless you're my best friend or my mom. I set off for the airport with lots of butterflies in my stomach, and I was scheduled to meet Diane to begin our Vegas Adventure!!

Remember that very, very, very, detailed itinerary I told you about...let's call it a "working document" now! It took me a ridiculously long time to get to the airport-- so long that I missed my flight! What??? Yes, it was exactly like a movie scene, and I was the girl bawling in the airport. People probably thought I was leaving my entire family and moving forever to a foreign country because of the waterworks. Poor Diane, I totally abandoned her!


Here's my empty seat on the plane #wompwomp and the text from my mom. I should have taken a selfie of myself working alone at airport terminal 23 for 5 hours, but hindsight is 20/20.--maybe next time.



So at this point, it was kind of like the first day of school. I had everything planned out. I was dressed for sucess. I had the best supplies...and then real life happened! Here's that very, very, very detailed itinerary I've been telling you about....


I remembered something on my trip to Vegas that I learned very early on in my classroom. You have to laugh at the crazy situations you encounter every day. You can't let some hiccups in your plan ruin your happiness! In a way, having everything go wrong was exactly the right thing to happen. I didn't arrive at Vegas feeling like everything needed to be perfect. I  wasn't worried about a schedule anymore, and I had a really funny story to share with everyone.

So when TPT conference actually started, it really was like being at school-- except you don't have to tie anyone's shoes or watch your friend's class so she can use the bathroom. We were waking up early, looking for coffee, and getting ready to learn! I was meeting new friends all the time and getting to know more about my old friends. ( I refer to my learners as my "friends" all year long.)


We had coffee with super sweet Annie  of The Moffatt Girls and very talented Aly of Just a Primary Girl-- We never realized we went to college together! 


I was thrilled to meet so many teachers who I admire professionally and personally! It was like being at the best  professional development day ever planned! 




Amy and Lisa of All Y'all Need

Although the conference was only 2 days, I learned more than a year's worth of information. I learned about mistakes I have been making--sorry for making you cringe with all the product cover photos, and I guess dropping pinterest was the most devastating choice I could have made for my brand. There are also lots of things I can improve. I need to single-task instead of multi-task and continue to learn from the amazing teachers who open up their classrooms! My blog needs a bit more attention, and I will try to share more of my own classroom with you!

I felt so very encouraged by so many teachers and bloggers to keep creating clipart, which is something I just taught myself how to do this summer! Your feedback meant so much to me! I think it may grow into my "niche" in the future. I even saw one of my clips in a presentation at the conference. Yes, I know it's only an arrow...but it's MY arrow! 


The conference was just like a year in the classroom. You are nervous to meet all of these new people, and then you don't want to say goodbye to them. You watch them grow and you watch yourself grow, and suddenly you're both wiser than before. You realize those immaculate plans you made can't hold a candle to the teachable moments you seized. You stay up late sharing ideas and get up early to get things done. By the end, you are inspired and exhausted, and asking...when I can I come back for more?

If you are planning on visiting Vegas for some professional development or just a much needed vacation, hop over to Vegas.com to plan your details! Just click here: https://www.vegas.com/lasvegastraveldeals/


If you want to read more about the amazing experiences from the TPT Vegas Conference, hop on over the the Elementary Entourage! You can read posts from some some super special teachers or link up to share your story too!


12 comments

  1. What a BEAUTIFULLY written post, friend <3 I am SO SO SO glad we got to be together on that trip!! You're the BEST <3

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! It was a crazy, busy trip! Now that I am home I feel like I can fully appreciate the experience and everything I learned! None of this would have happened without you!

      XXOO
      Emily

      Delete
  2. This was by far my absolute favorite vegas post!!! I laughed and cried with you! What a horrible/amazing experience! Can't wait to meet you next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my post! I also laughed and cried a lot during th trip- LOL! I am already excited for #VegasTPT16 and can't wait to meet you!

      :) Emily

      Delete
  3. You are so sweet to include us in your blog post! We loved meeting you and Diane!!! Hope to see you soon! I should have known since you are best friends with Ashley that you would be awesome! We are crazy about Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      Seriously Diane and I can't stop talking about you! DId she tell you, we planned a way to join into All Y'all Need?! You completely stole the show in Vegas for us! You're right- Ashley is the best! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      :) Emily

      Delete
  4. Ugh! How stressful! So glad that you finally made it to VEGAS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria,
      I am so flattered that you stopped by my blog. After all, you did just TEACH me all about blogging! I am planning on making some updates soon with the lessons I learned. It was really stressful, but it is an experience I will never forget. I had a great time once I got there, and it was so fun to meet you in person!
      :) Emily

      Delete
  5. Emily! I adore you! Your blog post has such a unique angle...I love that you are showing your own angle and niche through your style of blogging! What a gift you have! P.S. Your clip art is amazing and you MUST. KEEP. CREATING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! I am so inspired by your gift for tech and ability to get so much done! You never seem overwhelmed. I need to keep learning from you!
      :) Emily

      Delete
  6. Great post friend! Why didn't I get one of these pens??!! I had no idea there were pens!!! I drink my iced tea out of my polka dot cup EVERY DAY though! xxoo,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you take selfies of yourself through the cup too? #iceteafilter I LOVED sharing the Vegas experience with you! I will send you a pen friend!
      XXOO
      Emily

      Delete

Back to Top