Seasonal Science

Last weekend, my dad took my little guy to collect some acorns.  They gathered quite an assortment of sizes and shapes. Rusty loved telling us that some even had "little hats." My dad is a retired horticulture and science teacher, so I knew he could help me plan out my newest science experiment for my firsties. 

I always love doing the traditional pumpkin sink and float experiment. It's perfect for teaching how to use your senses, and it makes the scientific process easy and fun. Plus kids are AMAZED when a giant pumpkin floats! It's like magic, but really it's just science! So I started asking my dad if he knew whether acorns sink or float. (Do you know the answer?!  I did not...) I was surprised to hear that some do and some don't, and it's all because of a little insect gal called the acorn weevil. 



Acorn weevils are actually really interesting, and I am so excited to teach my little learners at school about them! Science is going to be epic this month! I created some projectable lessons for my kiddos and student books to go with them. Some of my little learners do much better when they have a reference to look at while writing, and we can keep data as a class. We will start with the traditional pumpkin experiment, because it is more teacher controlled. Here's my plan for this one:



Once they have their little feet wet, I will let them have more control by doing their own test using acorns. I am assuming most of them will think all acorns float because all pumpkins float, but that's just my personal hypothesis. We will use the projectable lesson and the student books for this experiment too. The projectable lesson also includes a link to an amazing acorn weevil video. Here's my plan for this experiment:

The projectable lessons can also be printed and used for displays in your classroom or hallway. It is a great way to communicate what you are learning with others in your school!


If you would like to use these experiments with your kiddos too, check them out here! You will instantly have a whole class of little seasonal scientists!





No comments

Back to Top