Wordless Wednesday



I am teaming up with Miss DeCarbo at Sugar and Spice for the first time today! I have loved reading these posts so I am super excited to share one of my own! 


Next week, I will officially be able to get back into my classroom. As I excitedly open that door, I know an itty-bitty part of me will be frowning as I think about my own little kiddos. I have been spending this week preparing all of us and soaking up these sweet summer moments!



When our little guy started preschool, I remember dropping him off and thinking of the millions of things I wanted to tell the teacher....the list was endless.


I tried to make our communication with our sitter detailed but easy to follow. All of this made me rethink the questions that I ask the parents of my students. I have used the same parent survey for a few years, but I think I can do better! So...I actually have two questions for you. 

As a teacher, what questions are the most helpful to ask parents? 
As a parent, what questions do you wish teachers would ask?

6 comments

  1. Since my son is autistic, I wish his teacher asked if there are any words to use that trigger him. I also wish she asked what calms him. He's 4, but they said last year-"we can handle him". Well I'm glad but if you say these words, you don't need to "handle" it. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your feedback! I think it will be important for me to create a parent survey that is a little more open ended so parents who know their children as well as you do can share all of that important information. I hope you and your son have a great school year! :)

      Delete
  2. I ask parents to list strengths, struggles, five describing words, how they approach learning, and what social & academic goal(s) they have for our year together. I love getting a 'snapshot' of their personality, it helps me predict things that we might be able to build upon and things that may be potentially frustrating for my students. I also meet with each family and go over the things they wrote - it's a great conversation starter! I just love hearing their insight and discovering what the parents may need from me to help them support their child's learning at home. Maybe I should specifically add a "Tips for the Teacher" section to encourage parents to share concerns that aren't included on my form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really ask some important questions Laura. I also like how you use the survey to start a conference with families-what a great idea! I'm sure parents really appreciate your detailed communications :) Thanks for the great ideas!

      Delete
  3. I always like to know what the after school activities are. That tells me a lot about the child and usually gives some insight to work habits.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top